Edited by John Willis Clark
Publisher: Cambridge University Press
Print Publication Year: 2009
Online Publication Date:September 2010
Original Publication Year:1904
Chapter DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511693571.002
Subjects: British history after 1450
BENEFACTION OF KING HENRY THE SEVENTH. 1504.
In 1504 (20 November) a quadripartite indenture (A) was drawn up between the King of the first part; John Islip, abbot of S. Peter of Westminster, and. the Prior and Convent of the same, of the second part; the Chancellor, Masters and Scholars of the University of Cambridge, of the third part; and the Mayor and Corporation of the City of London, of the fourth part: in virtue of which £10 was to be paid yearly at Michaelmas by the Abbot, Prior, and Convent of S. Peter at Westminster, to the University of Cambridge, in Great S. Mary's Church, ‘to be employed and disposed for the common wele of the same University.”
In consideration of this sum, so paid, the University bind themselves to hold a service on February 11 in each year, for the good estate of the King, and for the souls of his late Queen, their children, and his father the Earl of Richmond, his ancestors, and his mother the lady Margaret, Countess of Richmond and Derby.
After the dissolution of monasteries a decree of the Court of Augmentations, dated 12 October, 1544 (B), confirmed the above grant; and the Statutes of Elizabeth (1572) directed that King Henry the Seventh should be commemorated on 8 May, when a sermon should be preached by the Regius Professor of Divinity.